Monday, April 19, 2010

Why I prefer Linux - Reasons #3 - No Restrictions

I'm an uncommon user. I have a Windows Machine connected to my TV running iTunes. (only for running iTunes I might add) If I need to use the machine I access it remotely via RDP from my Linux Desktop. However, when I do, my wife and daughter are locked out of the Windows Desktop until I log out. Windows Desktop Licenses only allows one user to be logged into a given machine at one time. (and it's software enforced) If you want more Microsoft wants you to purchase Windows Server with CALs and Terminal Server CALs. Which would be no big deal, as Windows Home Server can do the trick at $400 for a OEM licensed copy, except many providers (like iTunes) don't allow their products to be run on Windows Servers.

With Linux, my main machine, has both Kimberly and I connected at the same time using the same programs. I can have an unlimited number of people connected via the X11 protocol. Well, unlimited as far as licenses. The reality is I couldn't handle much more that 10 active users. System just doesn't have enough RAM for that.

Not saying Linux is better here, just less restrictive. With Windows you do have options, purchase Windows Server, illegally hack Windows Desktop... or you could just use Linux as your primary platform and consolidate your computers. Dumb Terminals are not hard to setup, and Fedora has everything you need included in the box.


To setup for X11 vnc: (there are gui ways but cutting and pasting is faster)

Install:

yum install tigervnc-server

add to /etc/gdm/custom.conf: (gives access to connect to the X11 server)

[xdmcp]
Enable=true
HonorIndirect=true
MaxSessions=32
DisplaysPerHost=2

Create /etc/xinetd.d/VirtualMachines: (sets vnc connections to X11)

service vnc-mini
{
disable = no
socket_type = stream
port = 5901
protocol = tcp
group = tty
wait = no
user = nobody
server = /usr/bin/Xvnc
server_args = -inetd -query localhost -geometry 1024x600 -depth 16 -once -fp /usr/share/X11/fonts/misc -securitytypes=none -desktop=MyMachine
}

Add /etc/services: (I'm using named services in xinetd)

vnc-mini 5901/tcp # VNC to GDM


To Connect:

to use just open vncviewer and log into machinename:1 and you will be presented with your login screen. If you want to get fancy you can use persistent connections and allow your computer to stay on even when you disconnect.

No comments:

Post a Comment