Thursday, April 22, 2010

Why do I rant?

Simple, I get tired of people telling me windows is the best operating system because they say it is. Or Windows is the best operating system because somehow Microsoft managed to make it a mandatory course requirement in all schools in Ontario. Or that Windows is the best operating system because you have to buy it when you purchase a new computer. I'm tired of people spreading rumours like Linux is not a viable alternative to Windows. Or that Linux can't do simple things like browse the internet. Then there's the entire TOS type studies where Microsoft had to ask a company to "adjust" the numbers to make Microsoft products look better.

So I rant. I use Linux as my primary desktop platform, and so does many of my extended family, so anyone who says it can't be done we're living proof. Also for those who say that the "average user" can't use Linux because it's too complicated, has never used a LiveCD/DVD before. Pop it in, click on the red fox, and surf the net. Besides my Mom uses Linux and she barely knows where the on switch is.

As for "but you support those people", ya but I had to support those people using windows too, and I'm supporting the same issues, so I'd prefer to support them on Linux. Not to mention what about the "average user" who buy's Windows. Don't they get support from Futureshop, plus Microsoft? Fedora users can easily get support from the multiple forms, live chat feeds, online classrooms, help pages, and on and on and on. The only different between Windows and Linux support networks is ... well none. You can even get paid support for Linux just like Microsoft.

So why do I rant... to correct some of the people out there who want to show Windows as a better product by spreading, what I consider to be lies about Linux.

Linux can run your desktop...

No comments:

Post a Comment