Wednesday, April 28, 2010

More doesn't mean all, and less doesn't mean none.

I've said quite a few times that I like Linux because it's less restrictive. I'm not saying there are no restrictions.

Examples:
  • Windows 7 is restricted to 2 processors (EULA Limit)
  • Linux (Desktop) is limited to 32 cores for 32 bit system and 255 cores for 64 bit system.
  • Windows 7 limits one user on each machine concurrently (EULA Limit)
  • Windows Home Server is limited to 3 users. 1 - console and 2 rdp (EULA Limit) However;
    "Terminal Services – You may only use Terminal Services functionality to the extent required to manage the
    server software in Remote Administration Mode. You may not use Terminal Services for any other purpose."
  • Linux (Desktop) I couldn't find a limit. But as a test I tried making 10 connections to my X11vnc server and it went no problem.
  • Windows Home Server: it's not allowed to be connected to a free Primary Domain Controller.
  • Linux (Desktop) you can connect it to whatever you want.
  • Windows 7 I can install iTunes
  • Windows Home Server I can't install iTunes (Repeated problems with iPod/iPhone service when tried to force it)
  • Windows 2008 Server I can't install iTunes (BSOD when I tried to force it)
  • Linux I can't install iTunes (will mostly, wine can emulate part of it)
There are clearly restrictions in Linux. However, the restrictions in Linux don't seem to cause me as many issues. Most of the time I never hit them. Where with windows I'm hitting the restrictions all the time. Not to mention cost involved. To legally get the Terminal Server option I use all the time on Linux, it would cost $1029 for Win2008 and $749 for a 5 pack RDS. Ref (again I'm sure you can get it cheaper somewhere, but it's still going to be more than my family's monthly budget.)

5 comments:

  1. Note that there's no limit on cores. You could just as well put 2 8-core hyperthreaded processors on your board, yielding 32 cores.

    But yeah, at the end of the day, commercial offerings are going to charge more for the more "enterprise like" features.

    You don't even look at Oracle's licensing strategy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You keep saying Oracle's licensing strategy... my point is there's no options with Microsoft and Apple. At least there's options with Oracle, granted more money, but still you have options.

    With Microsoft and Apple it's like hitting a brick wall at 80km/h. With Oracle you just have to pay the toll. (and even then the price is negotiable.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Huh? Most businesses are similar: they'll be willing to be flexible when it helps them out (Microsoft and Oracle, sharing many of the same customers are particularly similar). Both will cut special terms for businesses when the deal is non trivial. But, they aren't going to re-write the boilerplate terms for a $100 sale (the costs involved -- i.e. review by an attorney can't be high compared to the value of the deal).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm going to step back on this. You say that there's no limit on cores. I asked for clarification from Microsoft on if "processor" meant cores or physical processor. I got two different answers. I was told Windows 7 is limited to 2 cores max. When I called again I was told 2 physical processors. I think that area of the EULA is very unclear if even Microsoft staff can't agree.

    The second point on that, I tend to run older equipment because I can't afford the new stuff. 8-core is a relatively new technology so people in my circle would typically be running the 4 physical physical processor machines. Rather than the 2 8-core machines.

    As for Oracle. Where do you get your research from? I'm speaking from experience.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks like Oracle has been pressured to change their licensing on the low end, and follow Microsoft's per-socket model: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/03/07/oracle_core_change/

    (Though the high end enterprise products still have a bizarre and convoluted model that counts cores and applies some multipliers or divisors).

    ReplyDelete